Charlotte NC CARMEL PARK: What is My Child’s 2011 – 2012 School Assignment?
Charlotte NC schools offer superior educational opportunities in each developmental level. Education, one of the fundamental aspects the imparting of culture from generation to generation, facilitates the realization of self-potential and the latent talents of an individual. With the application of theoretical and applied research relating to teaching and learning, education draws on a wide variety of disciplines such as psychology, philosophy, math, science, linguistics, economics and sociology, among many others. Schools that serve the Carmel Park children, apply this theory well as is reflected in the award-winning records of the schools at each level.
Public school information at the CMS (Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools) site, has a thorough list of elementary, middle and high schools with rankings, demographics, and individual school websites.
The public school assignments for Carmel Park neighborhood are all within close proximity to the Carmel Park community. The public schools to which Carmel Park children are assigned for the 2011 – 2012 school year are as follows:
(**See below for private school and home school information)
Principal: Catherine Phelan
Address: 4330 Foxcroft Road
Charlotte, NC 28211
Bell Schedule: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Sharon Elementary School Website
Sharon School is best described by the words on the banner that flies in the school’s lobby, “North Carolina Honor School of Excellence”. This designation, indicating school performance above 90% and all sub-groups of students making goals, was achieved by attaining a status of “high growth” for two straight years. The staff at Sharon School is focused on the present and their vision for the future to continue the outstanding ranking that this school maintains for the families assigned there.
Sharon School’s academic program maintains a special emphasis on math and science. The hands-on experience with their Science Curriculum Associate and the children’s classroom teacher is supplemented by a long-term research project in their Science Exploratorium over a period of several weeks during the year. Tremendous enthusiasm abounds about Sharon School’s science program and they’re looking to continued excellence in this department. Literacy and writing instruction continues to reflect higher levels of instruction as well. Sharon Elementary School’s EOG (end of grade) scores consistently have nearly 100% of their students at or above grade level!
Instruction and programming with the use of Multiple Intelligences as developed by Dr. Howard Gardner, has also been implemented at Sharon School. Culminating ‘MI Events’ bring learning to life through application, exploration, and performance. Several of these events are scheduled for all grade levels throughout the year.
Classroom teachers bring a wealth of new ideas to strengthen an already highly ranked neighborhood school. With a host of teachers who hold graduate degrees, National Board Certifications, and with professional development a high priority, Sharon’s staff continues to demonstrate that they are truly a professional learning community. This year’s focus, developing greater skill in building collective efficacy, has been supported by the generosity of the PTSA in both monetary donations and hundreds of volunteer hours.
As well, the staff, parents and students remain committed to preserving the warmth and spirit of Sharon that is so apparent to everyone who enters the building.
CARMEL MIDDLE SCHOOL
Principal: Marc Angerer
Address: 5001 Camilla Drive
Charlotte, NC 28226
Grades: 6 – 8
Bell Schedule: 9:15 AM – 4:15 PM
Carmel Middle School Website
Carmel Middle School, a sixth, seventh and eighth grade school that recognizes that middle school students have special intellectual, physical, social and academic, emotional needs. To meet these needs, the help of the entire school community is solicited and garnered at Carmel Middle School!
High expectations are set and teachers and staff work closely with parents to ensure these needs are met in a safe and orderly environment. Utilizing the team approach, Carmel students experience the feeling of belonging to a smaller group within the school population, one which has common goals and whose members are supportive of one another. There is a commitment to a shared mission at Carmel with high expectations set for all students in a safe and orderly environment.
Carmel provides for the academic needs of all students by offering challenging academic courses and a wide variety of elective courses. The school offers a variety of extracurricular opportunities. The Carmel staff, students and parents truly believe that Together Each Accomplishes More (TEAM).
The following facts describe Carmel Middle School and the learning environment provided to our students:
- A NC School of Distinction (several years running).
- Named a “SCHOOL TO WATCH” by the North Carolina Middle School Association in 2005
- Ten years of high growth (exemplary status)
- Met Adequate Yearly Progress goals for 32 of 33 subgroups
- 90% of students at or above grade level in reading and math
- Over 831 students enrolled in Language Arts Scholars classes: 866 enrolled in Math Scholars classes
- English as a Second Language Program; Exceptional Children’s program
- Low student/teacher ratio
- Over 90 total staff: 58 classroom teachers, one media specialist, one media assistant, one technology facilitator; one academic facilitator, three grade level counselors, one career development coordinator, two security associates
- 34% of staff with master’s degree or higher
- 12 National Board Certified teachers
- 99% of students have scored at/above grade level in Algebra I and Geometry for the last six years
- One counselor and one administrator per grade level
- 98.4% on Safe Schools Audits
- Active PTSA Board (over 40 members) and School Leadership team (18 committee members)
- A high level of parent participation adds to Carmel’s success. Parents regularly log over 1400 hours in various volunteer opportunities
- Nationally Certified AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) Program. 45 students are currently enrolled
- Home-School communications: Carmel website is updated weekly, monthly team and PTSA newsletters
- Students participate in academic extracurricular activities such as National Junior Honor Society, Odyssey of the Mind, Spelling Bee, Geography Bee, NAL, Honors Band and Orchestra, Shakespeare Recitation, Chess, Science Olympiad, MATHCOUNTS, Algebra team, Geometry Team and the Battle of the Books.
- Monthly family involvement events including Family Night, PTSA meetings, AVID parent meetings and Parent seminars
- Curriculum night for the parents
- Student Publications including Paw Prints, Carmel’s literary magazine, Cougar Prints, Carmel’s newspaper and the yearbook
- Quality intramural and Physical Education programs
- Technology: two keyboarding labs, a research/resource computer lab, 15 Media Center computers, a communication arts computer lab, four mobile computer labs with wireless internet, at least one internet accessible computer in each classroom
- Active Athletic Program (golf, football, softball, volleyball, basketball, soccer, track, baseball and cheerleading) for 7th and 8th grade students
- Open door policy
MYERS PARK HIGH SCHOOL
Principal: Tom Spivey
Address: 2400 Colony Road
Charlotte, NC 28209
Grades: 9 – 12
Bell Schedule: 7:15 AM – 2:15 PM
Myers Park High School Tidbits:
- Consistently named one of Newsweek Magazine’s 100 Best High Schools in America
- Since 1951, when first opened, Myers Park has excelled in academic and athletic competitions
- A collegiate-like campus consisting of 13 buildings on 62 acres
- Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and honors courses are offered in most academic areas
- An integrated community which allows its students to experience people of different cultures, races and economic backgrounds, attracting students from 37 countries
- Well prepared, dedicated teachers who provide an outstanding total educational experience
- Myers Park HS achieves highest SAT scores of all CMS schools
Carmel Park Homeschool information can be found at the Homeschool Alliance of North Carolina.